Five Helpful Hints From Your Dentist
Don’t fear the dental hygienist!
We might seem intimidating with our shiny silver tools, but we’re really your biggest allies in the battle against the real bad guys plaque, periodontal disease and tooth decay.
People are always asking me the shortcuts to dental hygiene. Sorry folks: there’s no substitute for brushing twice daily, flossing regularly, and making twice-yearly visits to your dentist. But I do have a few suggestions for quick fixes on the go, when you’re not in a place to actually brush your teeth.
Here are the first few to get you going stay tuned for more of my Teeth Tips in upcoming blog posts!
1. Chew a piece of sugar-free gum; it stimulates saliva flow, which helps naturally rinse your teeth.
2. Eat an apple or another juicy fruit or vegetable as the last part of your meal at lunch. Similarly to above, the juice helps rinse out bacteria from your teeth.
3. Drink lots of water! There’s a reason we’re always using it to flush out your mouth in the dental chair.
4. Carry a few floss picks around in your pocket. They’re smaller than a toothbrush and easily discarded.
5. Try one of the new teeth cleaning wipes on the market.
There are several brands that are individually wrapped and easily transportable.It can be surprisingly easy to keep your teeth clean on the go. Just as long as you don’t swap these out for brushing and flossing and coming to visit me regularly!