How to Make Festive Deviled Eggs
When it comes to your 4th of July bash, festive decorations are a breeze. But the harder part can be making food to match. Here is one solution that turns a classic appetizer into patriotic perfection: red, white and blue deviled eggs. As an added bonus, eggs yolks are also very nutritious, full of high quality protein, vitamins A, D and E and carotenoids.
Patriotic Deviled Eggs
- 1 dozen hard boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup non fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Food coloring
Once you have hard boiled and peeled the eggs, cut them in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks from the eggs whites and place them in a bowl. With a fork, break up the yolks until they are like a fine powder. Add the yogurt, mayo, mustard, salt and pepper to the yolks and blend completely until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Place yolk mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 2D tip. Now for the fun part! Mix 1 cup of hot water with 1 teaspoon of food coloring and 1 teaspoon vinegar (optional) in a bowl (make one bowl for red coloring and one for blue).
Place the egg whites in either the red or blue food coloring and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Place the dyed egg whites on a paper towel to dry. Once dry, pipe the yolk mixture into the egg white halves. Chill until ready to serve.
If you’re looking for a great, free fireworks show to watch this 4th of July, try one of these regional shows that are sure to be a blast:
- July 4th Celebration at the Pier (San Francisco, CA): This 25-minute display incorporates over 10,000 fireworks set against the backdrop of beautiful San Francisco. Bring your lawn chairs and stakeout a spot between Pier 39 and Aquatic Park. Show begins around 9:30pm. http://www.pier39.com/home/events/fourth-of-july-celebration-at-the-pier/
- Seafair Summer Fourth (Seattle, WA): This epic fireworks display closes out a day of fun at the Gas Works Park. Go early for food vendors, live entertainment, beer gardens and games. Catch the show from a boat on Lake Union or bring a blanket to Gas Works Park. Show begins at 10:15pm. http://www.seafair.com/fourth
- Freedom Over Texas (Houston, TX): Everything is bigger in Texas, even their Fourth of July festivities. Freedom Over Texas is the largest land-based fireworks show in the US and is set to classic American rock ‘n roll tunes. Before the show, enjoy live county music or take the kids to the kids zone. The best views of the fireworks are from Eleanor Tinsley Park. Show starts around 9:30pm. http://www.houstontx.gov/july4/
- Macy’s Fourth of July Fireworks (New York, New York): The Macy’s Fourth of July Fireworks display is the largest in the country, featuring more than 40,000 fireworks, and is accompanied by the New York Pop Orchestra and Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Arrive early to stake out a spot along West Side Highway below 59th Street. Show starts around 9:20pm. http://social.macys.com/fireworks/
- Boston Pops Concert Fireworks Spectacular (Boston, MA): Set to the 1812 Overture performed by Boston Pops, this fireworks display brings in a large crowd of over 500,000 visitors. The best viewing places are at the Oval along the Charles River, but you’ll need to get there early. The Oval usually reaches capacity by 2pm. Music starts at 8pm, the 1812 Overture starts at 9:30pm and fireworks begin at 10:30pm. http://www.july4th.org/