6 Creative Ways to Spend More Time Outside
Wednesday - September 21st, 2016
Even though it’s summertime, you may find your kids spending more time indoors than you’d like. Here are some ways to encourage the whole family to get out and enjoy the great outdoors.
- Pack a picnic and head to the park. Eating outside is one of the simple pleasures of summertime. Try to plan a couple each month during the summer.
- Walk or bike instead of driving. Need to run a quick errand or take the kids to the library? Try walking there or riding a bike instead. This is a great way to get the family moving and also enjoy the weather.
- Make a day of exploring. If you have hiking trails, botanical gardens, lakes or streams nearby, make an afternoon of walking around and exploring. You can also give your kids a list of animals and plants to look for during the adventure.
- Try new outdoor activities as a family. Are there nearby opportunities for kayaking, canoeing, fishing or anything else you haven’t done before? Try it out as a family! You just might find a new hobby.
- Go on a scavenger hunt. There are resources online that can help you plan your own scavenger hunt for your kids, or take part in existing ones, like Letterboxing.org.
- Camp out in the yard. Who says you have to travel to the wilderness to enjoy sleeping under the stars? Simply set up a tent in the backyard as an easy way to spend time outside.